- This event has passed.
Nurturing Resilience and Motivation in Children with ADHD: The Search for “Islands of Competence”
June 28, 2022 @ 11:00 am - 12:00 pm MDTFREE!
EXPERT: Robert Brooks, Ph.D.
Children and adolescents diagnosed with ADHD often confront feelings of low self-esteem and a sense of pessimism about succeeding in a variety of domains, including in school and outside of school, and in friendships with peers and adults. In an attempt to manage negative feelings and thoughts, they often engage in self-defeating coping strategies that serve to further exacerbate their problems and distress.
To help these children and adolescents develop constructive coping strategies that enhance motivation, learning, caring, hope, and resilience, it is important for parents, educators, and professionals to adopt a strength-based approach. This kind of approach highlights each youngster’s interests and “islands of competence” and serves to reinforce a “resilient mindset” with accompanying resilient behaviors.
In this webinar, you will learn how to:
- Serve in the role of “charismatic adult” to become a source of strength for children and teens with ADHD
- Use certain exercises to strengthen empathy in ourselves so that we can more effectively help children and teens with ADHD
- Identify and reinforce the key components of a “resilient mindset”
- Identify and reinforce each youngster’s “islands of competence”
- Develop strategies that provide opportunities for “contributory activities”
- Assist children and adolescents with ADHD to deal more effectively with setbacks and mistakes
Click on Go To Website to register and learn more.